Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister launches Bhavantar Bhugtan Yojana :-
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan launched the ambitious ‘Bhavantar Bhugtan Yojna’ in the presence of the farmers at the Krishi Upaj Mandi in Khurai, Sagar district of Madhya Pradesh.
- The objective of this scheme is to ensure reasonable prices to the farmers for their agriculture produces and thereby protecting them from losses suffered on account of distress sale
- Under this scheme, farmers will be compensated the difference between Minimum Support Price (declared by Union Government) and the actual sale price or Model Price, whichever is higher.
India International Cherry Blossom Festival to be held in Shillong :-
Second edition of India International Cherry Blossom Festival will be held from 8th – 11th November, 2017 in Shillong, Meghalaya.
More Details about Second Edition of India International Cherry Blossom Festival:
- This festival is being organised by Meghalaya State Government in association with the Institute of Bioresources and Sustainable Development (IBSD), Imphal, and the Indian Council of Cultural Relations.
- Cherry Blossom trees bloom for a very short period every year. During this time, the stretch over which the trees are planted bears a pinkish white shade due to the blooming of flowers.
- Tradition of celebrating Cherry Blossom festival started in Japan and currently 27 nations celebrate this festival, mostly during the March-June period, depending on the time when cherry blossom trees bloom in that particular country.
- In this year’s Cherry Blossom festival in Shillong, there will be several events including guided night walks under illuminated cherry blossoms, musical performances, a beauty pageant and stalls showcasing the local wine, arts and craft of the region.
PM Modi inaugurates first ever All India Institute of Ayurveda :-
On October 17, 2017, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA) in Delhi on the occasion of ‘National Ayurveda Day’.
About All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA):
- AIIA has been set up as an apex institute under the Ministry of AYUSH and has been modelled along the lines of All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).
- AIIA has been set up on 10.015 acres of land at a cost of Rs. 157 crore.
- The institute will serve as a platform to establish synergy between traditional wisdom of Ayurveda and modern diagnostic tools and technology.
- AIIA holds the National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare Providers (NABH) accreditation.
- Hospital block of AIIA has several clinical facilities including neurological and degenerative disease care unit, diabetes and metabolic/allergic disorders care unit, Yoga, Panchakarma clinic, Kriya Kalpa, rheumatology and musculoskeletal care unit, diabetic retinopathy clinic and infertility clinic.
Ministry of WCD launches campaign on ‘women for women’ – #IamThatWoman :-
In a bid to end gender bias in women against women, Union Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) has started an online campaign #IamThatWoman.
- This campain aims to highlight various aspects of women standing ‘by’ and ‘for’ women.
- Through this campaign, Ministry of WCD has urged people to come out of the notion of women harming other women.
- Minister for Women and Child Development, Maneka Gandhi has stated that, through this campaign, her ministry wants to draw attention towards enormous contributions made by women for women.
- Every woman who considers that some other has helped/contributed to her well being, is urged to share a post/photo using the hash tag #IamThat Woman.
Pakistan elected among 15 nations to UN Human Rights Council :-
On October 16, 2017, 15 member nations including Pakistan have been elected to serve on the United Nations (UN) Human Rights Council.
New Member of UN Human Rights Council:
- 15 new member nations who have been elected are Afghanistan, Angola, Australia, Chile, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mexico, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Qatar, Senegal, Slovakia, Spain and Ukraine.
- These members would serve three-year terms beginning on January 1, 2018.
About UN Human Rights Council:
- It is the highest intergovernmental body in the United Nations system for matters relating to safeguarding human rights worldwide.
- UN Human Rights Council was created by UN General Assembly in 2006. It has 47 members.
- UN Human Rights Council is based in Geneva, Switzerland.
MCX launches first commodity options trading with gold :-
On October 17, 2017, the auspicious occasion of Dhanteras, Multi Commodity Exchange (MCX) launched trading in Gold option’s contract in presence of Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
Details about Gold Options Contract launched on MCX
- Options contract offers the buyer the right, but not the obligation, to buy or sell a stock/commodity/asset at an agreed-upon price (referred to as strike price) during a certain period of time up to a specific date.
- Underlying for Gold options contract which are currently available for trading are Gold (1 Kg) futures expiring on November 28, 2017 and January 29, 2018.
- Options in securities and commodities market are primarily meant for hedging. However they are also used for speculation.
Quick Facts about Multi Commodity Exchange (MCX):
♦ Established in – 2003
♦ Headquarters – Mumbai
♦ Current CEO – Mrugank Paranjape
Indian peacekeepers in South Sudan awarded UN medal :-
On 17th October 2017, 50 Indian peacekeepers placed in South Sudan were awarded the UN Medal for their service in maintaining peace in South Sudan.
Indian peacekeepers awarded UN medal:
- The Indian peacekeepers were awarded UN medal for their professionalism and service in protecting civilians and building peace in the conflict driven South Sudan.
- The Indian peacekeepers are a part of the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS). They are deployed with the Indian Battalion stationed at Bor in the Jonglei region of South Sudan.
- The award was presented by UNMISS Force Commander General Frank Mushyo Kamanzi. Indian Ambassador to South Sudan, Srikumar Menon, attended the medal ceremony.
- Indian peacekeepers have been carrying out patrols across the region and have provided a safe environment for civilians at the UN Protection of Civilians site at Bor.
About South Sudan:
♦ Capital – Juba
♦ Currency – South Sudanese pound (SSP)
♦ President – Salva Kiir Mayardit
Scientists develop futuristic military watch that can survive nuclear blast :-
Scientists have developed a military watch for the Russian army kit, that can resist high impact, and even survive the consequences of a nuclear blast, in Russia.
Military watch that can survive nuclear blast:
- The watch has been developed by experts of the Central Scientific Research Institute for Precision Machine Engineering (TsNIITochMash) — part of the Rostec State Corporation in Russia.
- It has been included in the new combat system for land forces, airborne forces, coastal troops of the Russian Navy, special operations units. It is designed for continuous time determination.
- The mechanical watch with automatic movement enables fast and accurate time determination in severe climatic and operating conditions, during routine and combat operations. The weight of the watch with a band is not more than 100g.
International Day for the Eradication of Poverty – October 17 :-
On 17th October 2017, International Day for the Eradication of Poverty was observed all over the world.
International Day for the Eradication of Poverty:
- International Day for the Eradication of Poverty 2017 marks the 25th anniversary of the declaration by the UN General Assembly to celebrate 17th October as the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty.
- This day was chosen because on 17th October 1987, over a hundred thousand people gathered at the Trocadero in Paris, where the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was signed in 1948, to honour the victims of extreme poverty, violence and hunger.
- Theme for International Day for the Eradication of Poverty 2017 is: ‘Answering the Call of October 17 to end poverty: A path toward peaceful and inclusive societies’.
Top 5 poorest countries of the world (2017) by Global Finance Magazine:
1.Central African Republic
2.Democratic Republic of Congo