SEX INTERCOURSE WITH MINOR WIFE IS RAPE, SAYS SC :-
- The Supreme Court on Wednesday held that sexual intercourse by a man with his wife, who is below 18 years of age, is rape.
- A girl child below the age of 18 cannot be treated as a commodity having no say over her body or someone who has no right to deny sexual intercourse to her husband.
Earlier Criteria :-
“ Exception 2 to Section 375 (rape) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), which allowed the husband of a girl child — between 15 and 18 years of age — liberty and freedom to have non-consensual sexual intercourse with her. Her willingness or consent was of no concern. The husband in such cases was not punished for rape. “
Where as it is clearly stated in “Protection of Children From Sexual Offences” that sexual intercourse below 18 is amounted to rape.
GOVT CLEARS SALARY HIKE FOR COLLEGES & UNIVERSITY TEACHERS :-
- The Union Cabinet on Wednesday cleared salary hike for nearly 8 lakh teachers and academic staff of higher educational institutions, implementing the recommendations of the 7th Pay Revision Committee.
- The decision will benefit 7.58 lakh teachers and equivalent academic staff in the 106 universities and colleges funded by the UGC and the HRD ministry, 329 universities funded by State governments and 12,912 government and private-aided colleges affiliated to state public universities.
- The pay scales will be applicable from January 1, 2016.
- It will also cover centrally funded technical institutions — IITs, IISc, IIMs, IISERs, IIITs and NITIE.
- This revision would register an entry pay growth in the range of 22% to 28%.
SUPREME COURT TO FRAME NORMS FOR DRAFTING LIVING WILLS :-
- The Supreme Court on Wednesday (October 11) says what has always been established by Indian judiciary that “there is no right to die”.
- The constitution bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justices A K Sikri, A M Khanwilkar, D Y Chandrachud and Ashok Bhushan also decided that every district should have a medical board whose duty will also be to decide the validity of the will (of a person on ventilator or in the last stages of a terminal disease) and that the board’s decision on this will be final.
- The board’s preliminary duty of course will be to ensure that there is enough reason to pull the plug on a dying person, if needs be.
- Passive euthanasia in the Aruna Shanbaug’s has been following till now
What is Passive Euthanasia ?
Passive euthanasia is a condition where there is withdrawal of medical treatment with the deliberate intention to hasten the death of a terminally ill-patient.
What is Living Will ?
It is defined as a direction issued by an individual that “he or she… shall or shall not be given medical treatment in future when or he she becomes terminally ill”.