Maharashtra govt makes Aadhar mandatory to avail fertiliser subsidy
Maharashtra Agriculture Minister Pandurang Fundkar has announced that, in order to avail fertiliser subsidy, farmers in Maharashtra will have to provide their Aadhaar number.
- As per this announcement, farmers won’t need to have a debit or credit card to purchase fertilisers. They can pay in cash, but their Aadhar will be entered in the Point of Sale (PoS) machines.
- The subsidy will be deposited to farmers’ account only if Aadhaar number has been provided.
- This rule will be implemented from November 1, 2017.
- Those farmers whose Aadhar application is in the process can provide enrolment number.
- This decision has been taken to curb diversion of subsidised fertiliser (which is meant for agriculture) for industrial use or exports.
- It has been estimated that around 20% of subsidised fertiliser is currently being diverted by dealers for industrial use.
11th World Congress on Adolescent Health held in New Delhi
On 27th – 29th October 2017, the 11th World Congress on Adolescent Health is held in New Delhi.
World Congress on Adolescent Health:
- The theme for World Congress on Adolescent Health 2017 is ‘Investing in Adolescent Health—the Future is Now’. This year’s event is focused on lowering mortality rates for adolescents.
- This event is hosted by MAMTA Health Institute for Mother and Child and the Public Health Foundation of India (PHFI) with support of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- This event is held by the International Association for Adolescent Health (IAAH) every four years. Around 800 international and national delegates participate in this year’s event.
- This year’s event consists of discussions on mental health and adolescents, gendered approached to adolescent health, opportunities and challenges etc.
Aadhaar can be used to Enter Airports now :-
The Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS) has issued a list of 10 identity documents that can be used to gain entry to airport terminals and for checking in, dispelling confusion over the issue.
BCAS also clarified that infants or minors accompanied by a guardian with a valid ID wouldn’t need a separate proof for domestic air travel. Unaccompanied minors would.
List of 10 identity documents :-
- Voter ID
- Aadhaar or M-aadhaar
- Pan Card
- Driving Licence
- Service ID
- Student ID Card
- Passbook of nationalised bank account
- Pension Card
- Disability ID
India, France agree to strengthen bilateral defence cooperation
Ms. Florence Parly, the French Minister for the Armed Forces, was on an official visit to India from 26th – 28th October, 2017. During Ms Parly’s meeting with Indian Defense Minister Ms. Nirmala Sitharaman, India and France agreed to strengthen bilateral defence cooperation.
Highlights of Meeting between Ms. Parly and Ms. Niramala Sitharaman:
- Ongoing initiatives to further strengthen bilateral defence cooperation between India and France were reviewed by both the ministers.
- Regional and international developments of mutual interest were also discussed during this meeting.
- Besides, a range of measures to expand military to military ties, including enhancing the scope of joint exercises, specifically VARUNA (Joint Naval Exercise between India and France – scheduled to be held in early 2018) were agreed upon.
- Developments in defence equipment and industry cooperation were also comprehensively reviewed by both the ministers. It is to be noted that France is India’s major supplier of defence equipments.
India to Host UN Wildlife Summit in 2020 :-
- India will host the next United Nations (UN) global wildlife conference in 2020, it was announced on Saturday.
- An announcement in this regard was made in the Philippine capital Manila on 12th Meeting of the Conference of the Parties (COPs) to the Convention on Migratory Species (CMS).
- The CMS COP is held once in three years.
14th South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation in Law Conference begins in Colombo
14th South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation in Law (SAARCLAW)Conference is being held from 27th -29th October, 2017 in Colombo, Sri Lanka, along with the 11th SAARC Chief Justices Conference.
Highlights of 14th SAARCLAW, Colombo:
- The conference was inaugurated on October 27, 2017 by Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe.
- Theme of 14th SAARCLAW Conference is “Emerging Legal Trends in SAARC Countries”.
- The conference is being attended by South Asia’s top Judges, legal practitioners and academics.
- During the course of this three-day conference, discussion will be held on several subjects such as artificial intelligence, human trafficking, Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) and environmental protection concerns.
- SAARCLAW has served as a platform for legal professionals across South Asian region to discuss issues pertaining to justice, legal reforms, good governance and enforcement. It was established in year 1991 in Sri Lanka.
Star Health Insurance Launches First-ever Insurance Policy for Persons Diagnosed with Cancer
Star Health and Allied Insurance (SHAI) has introduced first-ever health insurance cover for people already diagnosed with cancer.
Salient features of Star Health’s Insurance Policy for Persons Diagnosed with Cancer:
- This insurance policy has been named ‘Star Cancer Care Gold’.
- It covers the risk of recurrence, the spread of cancer (metastasis) and second cancer (second malignancy).
- There are two sum-insured options – Rs. 3 lakh and Rs. 5 lakh.
- Any individual between the age of 5 months and 65 years, who already had stage I and II cancer can subscribe to this policy.
- On diagnosis of recurrence, metastasis or second malignancy, a lumpsum amount of half the entire sum insured is paid to the policy holder.
- This policy also works as a routine medi-claim cover, providing for surgical, non-surgical as well as interventional treatment for non-cancer-related diseases, accident cover, etc.
- Depending on the age band, the premium amount varies from Rs. 12000 – Rs. 36000
- Quick Facts about Star Health and allied Insurance:
♦ Founded in – 2006
♦ Headquarters – Chennai, Tamil Nadu
♦ Current CMD – V Jagannathan
India emerges as biggest source for digital talent – Survey by Capgemini and LinkedIn
According to a survey by global consulting firm Capgemini and LinkedIn, India has the highest proportion of Digital Talent among the countries surveyed.
- At 76%, India had the highest proportion of Digital Talent among all the countries that were surveyed. The global average stood at 56%.
- 64 per cent organisations in India cited that digital talent gap has widened over the past few years.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Swiss researchers break record for shortest-ever light pulse
Swiss researchers have generated the world’s shortest laser pulse, a 43-attosecond X-ray flash, beating the 53-attosecond record set by the US earlier in 2017.
Shortest laser pulse:
- Scientists at the ETH Zurich have demonstrated the fastest light pulse ever developed, beating the 53-attosecond record set by the US. The newly developed laser pulse is a 43-attosecond X-ray flash.
- Light travelling at 3 lakh km/sec covers less than one-thousandth of hair-width during 43 attoseconds. This makes the 43-attosecond pulse as the shortest man-made controlled event.
- These lasers allow observing electron movement during chemical reactions in slow motion.
England beat Spain to Clinch Maiden U-17 FIFA World Cup
England beat Spain with 5-2 in the high scoring final in the history of this age group tournament.
- Spain winger Sergio Gomez scoring in the 10th and 31st minutes.
- England put five goals through Phil Foden (69th and 88th), Rhian Brewster (44th), Morgan Gibbs White (58th) and Marc Guehi (84th).
- This match happened in front of a capacity crowd of 66,684 at the Salt Lake Stadium.
- FIFA U-17 World Cup 2017 has also become the highest scoring event with 177 goals from 52 matches.
International Animation Day – October 28
On 28th October 2017, International Animation Day was observed all over the world.
International Animation Day:
- 28th October was declared as the International Animation Day by ASIFA (International Animated Film Association) in 2002. Each year, ASIFA groups around the world celebrate International Animation Day.
- They celebrate International Animation Day by screening animated films, organizing workshops, exhibiting artwork and stills, providing technical demonstrations, and helping to promote the art of animation.
- In India, International Animation Day is being celebrated every year since 2002 in various cities.
- About ASIFA (International Animated Film Association):
♦ International non-profit organization for promotion of animated movies
♦ Founded in – 1960