India – Japan begin anti submarine warfare exercise :-
- The Indian and Japanese navies on Sunday started an intensive air anti-submarine warfare exercise in the Indian Ocean.
- The exercise will conclude on October 31 in the Arabian Sea.
- India and Japan, along with US had also focused on anti-submarine warfare in the trilateral exercise Malabar in July this year.
- A P-8 I Long Range Maritime Reconnaissance Anti Submarine Warfare aircraft of Indian Navy and two P-3 Orion Anti Submarine Warfare aircraft of Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMDSF) will participate in the exercise.
Why Maritime Security being a key subject for India ?
- Growing presence of Chinese ships and submarines in the Indian Ocean.
- Another reason is Beijing has been posturing aggressively in the South China Sea.
- Maritime security and freedom of navigation has been priority in India’s recent bilateral and multi-lateral defence dialogues.
India Sends first Wheat Shipment to Afghanistan via Chabahar port
The shipment of wheat is a landmark moment through the Chabahar port in Iran, seen as a move to operationalise the new strategic transit route, bypassing Pakistan.
Why Chabhahar port is Important for India ?
- Growing presence of China into Arabian Sea through Gwadar port in Pakistan poses threat to India.
- This shipment will pave the way for operationalisation of the Chabahar port as an alternate, reliable and robust connectivity for Afghanistan.
- The Chabahar port, located in the Sistan-Balochistan province on the energy-rich Persian Gulf nations southern coast, lies outside the Persian Gulf and can be easily accessed from India’s western coast, bypassing Pakistan.
- The port is likely to ramp up trade between India, Afghanistan and Iran.
To boost connectivity with China, India opens bridge in Ladakh :-
- Border Roads Organisation (BRO) on Sunday opened a newly-constructed bridge, towards improving road connectivity to areas close to the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China in Ladakh region.
- Bridge has been constructed under Project Himank.
- The 30-metre heavy bridge over the Linche river on Leh-Loma road.
The Leh-Loma road is the main connectivity to various link roads along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) and is being developed to National Highway Double Lane (NHDL) specification owing to its strategic and operational importance as it is the closest route to China border.
About Project Himank :-
- It is a project of the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) in the Ladakh region that started in August 1985.
- Himank is responsible for the construction and maintenance of roads and related infrastructure including the world’s highest motorable roads across the Khardung La, Tanglang La and Chang La passes.
India becomes Honda’s No 1 market in Asia Oceania Region :-
- India has become the largest market in terms of retail sales for Japanese auto major Honda in the Asia Oceania region
- India overtook Indonesia this year to become its top market in the region.
- Asia Oceania Region does not count the sales in Japan & China.
- Honda has announced that it would launch six new products in the next three years.
SCI – TECH
Portable Ultrasound device can spot Cancer :-
- Scientists have developed a novel smartphone-based portable ultrasound machine that can help detect cancer.
- Its name is Butterfly IQ.
- It works by shooting sound waves into the body and capturing the echoes.
- This machine uses 9,000 tiny drums etched onto a semiconductor chip.
Kidambi Srikanth Won French Open Badminton 2017 Title :-
- Kidambi Srikanth beats Kenta Nishimoto to win French Open Badminton 2017.
- It is Kidambi Srikanth 6th Super Title Overall.
- Srikanth also became first Indian to win four super titles in a season.
- Kidambi Srikanth beats Kenta Nishimoto 21-14, 21-13 to win his fourth Super Series title of the year.
- He became only the fourth male player to win four or more Super Series titles in a year.
Virat Kohli became fastest batsmen to score 9000 ODI runs :-
- Kohli has become the 19th batsman to breach the 9000-run mark, making him the fastest to get there
- He had surpassed Ponting in the list of most ODI hundreds with his 32nd century.
- He has become sixth Indian to score 9000 runs.
- He is second among Indian batsmen in terms of international hundreds after Sachin Tendulkar.
- He has reached his 49th international century surpassing Rahul Dravid (48 tons).
David Miller Smashes fastest ton in T20 against Bangladesh :-
- David Miller Scores fastest ton in T20 Internationals.
- He scores 100 in just 35 balls against Bangladesh on Sunday.
- He scores 100 with the help of 9 sixes & 7 fours.
- He broke the previous record of fastest ton of Richard levi who is his compatriot.
India beats Malaysia to won Bronze Medal at Sultan of Johor Cup :-
- Indian Junior Men’s Hockey Team beats Host Malaysia with 4-0 to won Bronze Medal at the 7th Sultan of Johor cup.
- Goals from Vishal Antil (15th, 25th minutes), Vivek Prasad(11th) and Shilanand Lakra(21st) helps India to win the bronze at the Taman Daya Hockey Stadium.
About Sultan Johor Cup :-
- The Sultan of Johor Cup is an annual, international Under–21 Men’s field hockey tournament.
- Only Malaysia host the Sultan of Johor Cup.
- India (2013,2014) & Australia (2016,2017) have won twice the Sultan of Johar Cup.
- Current Champions are Australia as they beat Great Britain with 2-0.
World Stroke Day – October 29
On 29th October 2017, World Stroke Day was observed all over the world.
World Stroke Day:
- The theme for World Stroke Day 2017 is: What’s your reason for preventing stroke? “. Stroke occurs when the blood supply to part of the brain is cut off. Without blood, brain cells can be damaged or die.
- On the World Stroke day, organizations around the world conduct events emphasizing education, testing, and initiatives to improve the damaging effects of stroke worldwide.
- The World Stroke Organization (WSO) conducts Stroke awareness campaigns every year. The World Stroke Campaign’s goodwill ambassadors include Indian actress Rani Mukerji, former Miss Egypt Dalia El Behery and cyclist Alberto Contador.
- About World Stroke Organization (WSO):
♦ World Stroke Organization (WSO) – non-profit medical association that works to raise awareness of prevention and treatment of stroke
International Orthopaedic Nurses Day – 30th October 2017
International Orthopaedic Nurses Day is celebrated on 30 October 2017.
Orthopaedic Nurses :-
- They are trained to focused on the prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal disorders.
- Orthopaedic issues range from acute problems such as fractures or hospitalization for joint replacement to chronic systemic disorders such as loss of bone density or lupus erythematosus.
- Orthopaedic nurses have specialized skills such as neurovascular status monitoring, traction, continuous passive motion therapy, casting, and care of patients with external fixation.