=> Railways unveil its Gold Standard train under Swarn Project :-
- New Delhi-Kathgodam Shatabdi Express was the first to be launched as part of the railways Swarn project.
- Toilets have been upgraded, Wifi Hotspots are available, interiors have been renovate and many more basically it focus on three key areas – aesthetics, hygiene and entertainment.
- It becomes the first Gold standard train of india.
What is Swarn Project ?
- To renovate & improve services in Shatabdi and Rajdhani trains, Project Swarn has been launched
- Trolley catering service and on-board entertainment are to be brought in these trains
- Makeover exercise will be done in 30 trains which includes 15 Shatabadi & 15 Rajdhani trains at an estimated cost of Rs 25 crore.
- The project also envisages strengthening of security system in trains.
=> Indian Railways launch main arch on World’s Highest Bridge on Chenab :-
The Indian Railways has launched the main arch of the World’s Tallest Railway Bridge on the River Chenab in Jammu and Kashmir’s Reasi district.
About Bridge on Chenab River :-
- Iconic Bridge will be 359 metres above the bed of the River Chenab and will be 35 metres higher than the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
- It forms the crucial link between Katra and Banihal which is part of the Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla section of the Kashmir Railway project.
- Designed to run trains at a top speed of 100 Kmph, having a design life of 120 years.
- Designed by Ms WSP (Finland), Ms Leonhart Andra and Partners (Germany) and IIS Bangalore.
=> India under serious burden of under-nutrition :-
The Global Nutrition Report 2017, which looked at 140 countries including India, found ‘significant burdens’ of three important forms of malnutrition such as :-
- Childhood stunting,
- Anaemia in women of reproductive age,
- Overweight adult women
About Global Nutrition Report :-
- The Global Nutrition Report is a report card on the world’s nutrition—globally, regionally, and country by country—and on efforts to improve it.
- The report tracks global nutrition targets on maternal, infant and young child nutrition and on diet related Non-Communicable Diseases adopted by member states of the World Health Organization as well as governments’ delivery against their commitments.
=> China launches two navigation satellites :-
- China has launched two BeiDou-3 satellites .
- The two newly-launched satellites represent the third phase of the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System.
- This system will provide services for countries involved in the Belt and Road Initiative, and form a complete global satellite navigation system by 2020.
Importance for China :-
- China will become the third country in the world after the US and Russia to operate its own navigation system.
What are Beidou satellites ?
- BeiDou project was formally initiated in 1994.
- BeiDou has been described as a potential navigation satellite system to overtake GPS in global usage, and is expected to be more accurate than the GPS once it is fully completed.