=> New Consumer Protection Bill Introduced in Lok Sabha :-
A new Consumer Protection Bill was introduced in the Lok Sabha, seeking to set up an authority to safeguard consumer rights in view of current challenges posed by e-commerce, direct selling, tele-marketing and misleading ads, among others.
About Consumer Protection Bill :-
- The Consumer Protection Bill, 2018 was introduced by Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan in the Lower House and it seeks to replace the 31-year-old law.
- The Bill has strong provisions to check adulteration and misleading ads and also provides for fine up to Rs 50 lakh and jail up to 5 years for manufacturers and service providers for false and misleading ads.
- Against adulteration, the Bill has provisions for fine up to Rs 10 lakh and life term imprisonment.
- The objective of the Bill is to “provide for protection of interest of consumers and for the said purpose to establish authorities for timely and effective administration and settlement of consumer disputes”
- The Bill aims to set up an executive agency ‘Central Consumer Protection Authority’ (CCPA) to make intervention when necessary to prevent consumer detriment arising from unfair trade practice and to initiate class action including enforcing recall, refund and return of products.
- The Bill has several provisions aimed at simplifying the consumer dispute adjudication process of the consumer dispute redressal agencies, besides enabling consumers to file complaints electronically.
- In August 2015, the Centre had introduced the Consumer Protection Bill in the Lok Sabha to repeal the 30-year-old Consumer Protection Act, 1986. The government has brought this bill as there were many amendments to the bill introduced in 2015.
=> Mamta Banerjee launches Bengal’s New logo :-
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee unveiled the official emblem of the state government, which was recently approved by the Centre.
- The logo highlights the Ashoka emblem on the top with the theme of “Biswa Bangla” at the centre.
- Banerjee has also contributed to the design of the emblem.
- She added that the emblem would feature on all government works, projects and schemes.
=> Global Patidar Business Summit 2018 :-
- Sardar Dham Vishwa Patidar Kendra (SDVPK) – has organized the Global Patidar Business Summit.
- Business man pledged to give 10 lakh jobs to youth by 2026.
About Global Patidar Business Summit :-
- The primary aim of the event is to facilitate cooperation and alliance between various businesses run by Patidars while supporting startups.
- Patidar businessmen would take part in interactive sessions, B2B meetings and listen to some successful businessmen as well as management gurus.
- This event will be held every two years.
- The key purpose of the summit was to provide a networking platform to the owners of small and medium enterprises, create new Patidar entrepreneurs and jobs for youths.
=> Bill to establish Global Arbitration Centre introduced in Lok Sabha :-
- A bill to set up a new international arbitration centre here to replace and take over the undertakings of its present – International Centre for Alternative Dispute Resolution which works under the aegis of the Supreme Court, was introduced in the Lok Sabha today.
- The New Delhi International Arbitration Centre bill, introduced by Minister of State for Law P P Chaudhary.
- The Centre will be an institution of national importance and work for developing mechanism of international arbitration in the country.
- The bill said the International Centre for Alternative Dispute Resolution (ICADR), which works under the aegis of the Supreme Court, has not been able to actively engage and embrace developments in the arbitration ecosystem.
- The new body will take over the undertakings of the ICADR which was set up in 1995. The Chief Justice of India is the ex-officio chairperson of the ICADR, while former law minister H R Bhardwaj is the patron of the institution.
=> China Develops new underwater Surveillance Network Glider named Haiyi :-
- China has developed a new underwater surveillance network to help its submarines lock on to targets, even as the country successfully ended its mission to the Indian Ocean and South China Sea.
- Haiyi, which means “sea wings” in Chinese, has successfully completed a scientific observation in the Indian Ocean.
- It has marked that for the first time, the indigenous underwater glider was used in this ocean.
About Haiyi :-
- Haiyi is China’s independently-developed underwater glider.
- The system has already been launched and it gathers information about the underwater environment, particularly water temperature and salinity, which the Navy can then use to more accurately track and target vessels as well as improve navigation and positioning for working.
- The project, led by the South China Sea Institute of Oceanology under the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), is part of an unprecedented military expansion fuelled by Beijing’s desire to challenge the US in the world’s oceans, the Post report said.
NASA Going to Launch Two Missions to Explore Nearest Space :-
- NASA has announced that it would launch two missions to explore the little-understood area of 96 km above Earth’s surface.
- The Global-scale Observations of the Limb and Disk (GOLD) mission will be launched in January 2018, and the Ionospheric Connection Explorer (ICON) will be launched later this year.
- GOLD and ICON will team up to explore the ionosphere, a boundary area between Earth and the space where particles have been cooked into a sea of electrically-charged electrons and ions by the Sun’s radiation.
- ICON will be in low-Earth orbit, at 560 km above Earth, like a close-up camera while GOLD will be in a geostationary orbit over the Western Hemisphere, about 35,398 km above the planet’s surface.
- It will help in full-disk view of the ionosphere and the upper atmosphere beneath it every half hour.
- One of the missions’ goals is to measure how upper atmosphere changes in response to hurricanes and geomagnetic storms.
- GOLD will also explore how the upper atmosphere reacts to geomagnetic storms, which are temporary disturbances of Earth’s magnetic field caused by solar activity.
- At night, GOLD will examine disruptions in the ionosphere, which are dense, unpredictable bubbles of charged gas that appear over the equator and tropics, sometimes interfering with radio communications.
Gaming Disorder to get Disease Tag – WHO :-
- “Gaming disorder” will be recognised as a disease following expert consensus over the addictive risks associated with playing electronic games, the World Health Organization said.
- The disorder will be listed in the 11th edition of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD), to be published in June.
- The current working definition of the Gaming disorder is “a pattern of gaming behaviour, that can be digital gaming or video gaming, characterised by impaired control over gaming, increased priority given to gaming over other activities to the extent that gaming takes precedence over other interests”.