Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) completed it 3 successful years since inception in 2014. For the first time, a ministry with its core focus on converging all skill development initiatives in the country under one National Skills Qualification Framework (NSQF), was created by the Government of India. Out of 2.5 crores candidates who have been skilled under MSDE programs alone, more than one crore have been trained in 2017.
Investment in Skill Development Infrastructure
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendras :
In year 2017, MSDE focused extensively on building industry standardized infrastructure for driving skill development training under which it launched its Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendras (PMKK). PMKK has the potential to become the benchmark of skill development infrastructure, training, and placement in the respective district and; also in the country. It will make skill development quality oriented, sustainable and aspirational.
- As on December 22, 2017, 527 Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendras (PMKKs) have been allocated across 27 states covering 484 Districts and 406 Parliamentary Constituencies (PC). Out of which, 328 PMKKs have been established and work is under progress to establish 150 additional PMKK Centres. Further, 263 PMKKs have been inaugurated by their respective Local Members of Parliament. A total of 211 PMKKs have been inaugurated and 261 PMKKs established in FY2017
=>MSDE also laid down the Foundation stone of the First Regional Vocational Training Institute (RVTI) of Hyderabad by Hon’ble Vice President of India on September 16th, 2017 in Andhra Pradesh. Currently, there are 15 RVTIs spread across the nation.
=>Indian Institute of Skills (IIS):
These are state of the art center of excellence being set up across the 5 regions of India on the lines on ITE Singapore. The construction for the first IIS will begin soon in Mumbai, in collaborations Tata Group. Total budget of Rs. 476 Crore has been laid down for building IIS, which will provide “hands-on” training in advanced courses such as energy efficient construction, industrial electronics and automation etc.
Programs and Achievements made
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL):
- Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship is implementing flagship scheme known as Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) on pan–India basis.
- PMKVY enables large number of prospective youth, which also includes tribal, for taking Short Term Training (STT) and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) through accredited and affiliated training partner/training centers.
- The schemes run across 252 job roles related to 35 Sector Skill Councils, which is a diverse and exhaustive representation of the industry.
- Under PMKVY, as on 18.12.2017, 40.5 lakh (appx.) candidates have been trained (27.76 lakh STT + 7.76 lakh RPL) / undergoing training (5 lakh appx.) under Short Term Training and Recognition of Prior Learning. In year 2017, under PMKVY (STT) 11 lakhs have been trained and under RPL more than 3.7 lakh people were assessed and certified, under the program.
=>Fee Based Trainings:
- Under the Fee based model of skill development training being implemented by National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC).
- MSDE has trained more than 74 lakhs till date since its inception.
- In 2017 alone, more than 7 lakh candidates have been enrolled out of which more than 50% have already been placed been in job rob roles which are in demand like Masonry, Filed Sales Technicians, Financial Literacy, Refrigeration mechanic, Certificate in insurance training, Field Technician for Washing Machines etc.
=>Launch of “New Procedural and Civil Norms” for establishments of ITIs:
MSE has launched the same after approval from Chairman National Council for Vocational Training (NCVT) across the country so as to standardize the civil infrastructure of ITIs, so that ITIs across the country have similar buildings and facilities. The procedure for seeking affiliation has also been redefined to make it further simpler and transparent
=>Long Term Training:
- Under the Long-term training module, a total number 13,912 ITIs have been set up out of which 557 have been established in the year 2017.
- The seating capacity has been increased by 77040 over the last one year to become 22.82 lakhs in total till date.
- In 2017 a total of 12.12 lakhs candidates passed out from the ITI ecosystem
=>Grading of ITIs:
Directorate General of Training under the aegis of Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship has launched
- Grading exercise for ITIs to provide “Star Rating” to the performing institutes and give an opportunity to the institutes lagging behind in some of the parameters, to improve upon.
- The scoring shall be done against each of the 43 defined parameters as per grading framework.
- The grading of ITIs is voluntary in nature. A
- total of 5090 ITIs (Govt. & Pvt. ITI) have done online self-rating till the closing date for self-rating.
- The final rating approved by Core Grading committee will be announced after the physical verification/data validation by the Third party external auditor for the self-rated ITIs.
=>SANKALP & STRIVE:
- MSDE In October 2017 got approval by Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by the Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, on the “Skills Acquisition and Knowledge Awareness for Livelihood Promotion (SANKALP)” and “Skills Strengthening for Industrial Value Enhancement (STRIVE)” which are all set to boost the Skill India Mission in the country.
- SANKALP is Rs 4455 Crore centrally sponsored project including Rs. 3300 Crore support from World Bank whereas STRIVE is a Rs. 2200 crore – central sector project, with half of the project outlay as World Bank assistance.
- SANKALP and STRIVE are outcome focused projects marking a shift in government’s implementation strategy in vocational education and training from inputs to results building in a strong shift to an outcome based skill ecosystem.
Takshashila (Trainers and Assessors Portal) –
- National Portal for Trainers and Assessors is an initiative by NSDC under Skill Indian Mission.
- The portal is a dedicated platform towards the management of trainers and assessors training life-cycle and would function as the central repository of information concerning the development of quality Trainers and Assessors in the Indian skill eco-system.
- It is built in with a feature to search trainers and assessors trained by SSCs across states, sectors and job roles for access to a pool of qualified and skilled professionals.
=>MoU signing with Ministry of Water resources:
An MoU was signed on 15th July, 2017 between Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship [MSDE) and Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation (MWR, RD & GR) for developing skilled manpower for the afore mentioned projects and ensuring its execution and maintenance
=>MoU signing with BSF and Assam Rifles:
An MoU was signed on 31st July, 2017, between National Skill Development Fund (NSDF), National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and Border Security Force (BSF) with the objective to provide gainful employment to the serving, retiring and retired BSF personnel and their families ensuring the successful alignment to NSQF based skill training to them at multi-skill development centers run by BSF. A similar MoU has been signed with Assam Rifles as well.
=>MoU for Urja Ganga Gas Pipeline Project:
In order to provide the skilled manpower for Urja Ganga Gas Pipeline Project, a quadripartite agreement has been signed today between National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), GAIL, Skill Development Institute (SDI), Bhubaneswar and LabourNet. MoU is to promote and enhance seamless skill development activities related to Urja Ganga Gas Pipeline Project to ensure high levels of quality and productivity in the execution of the project & provide gainful employment to large number of youth.
=>National Entrepreneurship Awards 2017
In order to reorganize the entrepreneurial spirit of India’s youth and encourage more young Indians to become entrepreneurs, MSDE presented the National Entrepreneurship Awards for the 2nd year on 09-11-2017 the third foundation day of the Ministry, in New Delhi to 10 Young Entrepreneurs (Award track winners with a cash prize of Rs 5 lakh per award) and 02 (two) awards (Recognition Track Winner @10 lakhs per award) to Institutes/organizations as well as three awards to individual (Mentors) carrying a prize money of 5 lakhs each
=>Recognition to States and Enterprises promoting Entrepreneurship:
Further, in recognition of achievement for engaging apprentices, one best State, one best Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE), one best State Public Sector Enterprises (SPSE), and one best Private establishment were also conferred with “Champions of Change” award on this occasion. The award winners are i) State Government of Haryana (Best State Category), ii) Bharat Heavy Electronicals Limited (BHEL)
=>Special Projects under PMKVY especially focused on tribal populations have been initiated in 2017. Below are few of them:
(i) Bru Project: The project aims for skilling of BRU TRIBE of Mizoram, who were displaced and currently living in the Internally Displaced Person (IDP) camps in the districts of North Tripura. Under the project, 556 candidates have been benefited.
(ii) Katkari primitive tribe: Project aims to skill 1020 candidates from the Katkari tribe in Maharashtra.
(iii) Skilling in Odisha: Project aims to skill 12,000 candidates from 62 indigenous communities (tribes) of Odisha, of which 13 are classified as primitive.
(iv) Project YUVA with Delhi Police under PMKVY: Ministry of Skill Development also this year initiated Project YUVA which is a joint initiative of NSDC and the Delhi Police under which Delhi Police is connect young 3,000 deprived youth and across the capital, 8 police stations under phase 1 of the project with training partners so that they can upgrade their skill as per their capability post which, they will be given placement assistance. This mission is being undertaken to prevent the youth from committing crime and delinquent acts as well as to encourage them to partner with police in maintaining law and order, management of crime and connecting with the community at large. At present, 715 candidates have been enrolled of which 390 have been trained and 240 have been placed in companies like Burger King, Lemon Tree Premier, Sodexo India and Hotel Taurus Sarovar Portico.
International Collaborations and Platforms of engagement
MoC with Government of Japan:
A Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) on Technical Intern Training Program (TITP) was signed between the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) and Government of Japan on 17th October, 2017 at Tokyo. This MoC was earlier approved by the Union Cabinet in its meeting held on llft October,2017. The MoC on TITP is expected to significantly expand the bilateral cooperation between India and Japan in the field of skill development. India is the third country with which Japan has signed the MoC as per requirements of the Technical Intern Training Act scheduled to enter into force in November,2017
44th WorldSkills International competition was held in Abu Dhabi from 14th to 19th October 2017. In this event, a team of 28 competitors represented India wherein more than 1,300 participants from 59 World Skills member countries competed each other in 51 skills and trades. Team India, led by the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) under the guidance of the MSDE, competed in 26 skills at the event. This year was one of the most successful year for Team India, which won 1 Silver, 1 Bronze and 9 Medallions for Excellence at the competition. This is the best medal tally that India had since it started participating at these competition in 2007.
Partnership with Ministry of Belarus:
An MoU has been signed between MSDE and M/o Education of the Government of the Republic of Belarus for Cooperation in the field of Vocational Education and Training (TVET). Along with transfer of knowledge and expertise, the two countries will also extend advisory services, in order to enhance planning, management and delivery of Vocational Education and Training and Skill Development.
India – Africa Knowledge Exchange Mission:
The Ministry in collaboration with World Bank arranged an India – Africa Knowledge Exchange Mission in New Delhi with Minister Level participations from Five African Countries viz. Rwanda, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Ghana and Uganda besides 12 Technical Members and 2 members from PASET (Partnership for Skills in Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology), World Bank