Questions can be asked :- >> Can we Integrate Traditional & Modern Scientific Medical System into one. Support your Answer with valid points. >> Differentiate between Traditional & Scientific Medical System & Which Medical System is Better and what are their merits & demerits.
- All medical systems strive for one purpose — help the ill get well.
- Can We integrate the traditional and scientific medical systems into one system of curative medicine?
What considers to be a traditional medicine ?
Ancient Indian and Chinese traditional systems and the more recent homoeopathy. All of them are together called ‘traditional medicine’.
Difference between Homeopathy (Traditional) & Allopathy (Scientific Medicine) ?
- In Homeopathy, the basic belief is that molecules of chemicals that simulate symptoms similar to those in illnesses, given in minute and non-toxic quantities, are the remedies. The principle similia similibus curentur (likes cure likes) is implied in the name Homeopathy.
- Allopathy in which antidotes counter the causes of diseases.
Traditional Chinese & Ancient Indian Medical Systems :-
Chinese Medical System :-
- The major doctrine in the Chinese system is that Qi, life’s vital energy, flows via ‘meridians’ that connect all organs and tissues.
- If any gets blocked, illnesses result. Acupuncture, acupressure, massages, specific exercises and special diets and herbal medicines are applied as remedies.
Ancient Indian Medical System consider “Ayurveda” :-
- Ayurveda has the Thridosha doctrine.
- Imbalances between three hypothetical doshas cause illnesses.
- Remedies are herbal concoctions, oils, oil massages, special diets, purgation, deworming, etc.
Birth of Scientific Medicine :-
- Scientific medicine developed and grew in Germany, Austria, France, Britain and the U.S. during the 18th and 19th centuries.
Difference between Scientific & Traditional Medical System ?
Scientific Medical System :-
- Natural sciences with their methods of inquiry and emphasis on objective evidence heavily influenced its growth, which continued in the 20th century and is still continuing.
- Scientific medicine can and must question and revise dogmas, concepts, explanations and therapeutics through research inquiries.
Whereas Traditional Medical System :-
- In traditional systems, doctrines and therapeutics are given and fixed.
- Students accept them en route to becoming physicians of such systems. It need not and cannot be verified by research.
Question of Accountability :-
In Scientific Medical System :-
- Physicians have accountability to make evidence-based diagnosis and formally recommended remedies.
- Any two independent physicians are required to make the same diagnosis and the same guidelines of therapy.
- All diseases have been named, numbered and classified into a compendium — the International Classification of Diseases, the 10th edition being in current use.
- If one physician makes a diagnosis and treats as such, the patient has the right to ask if both are based on evidences available in books and periodicals.
- In case the physician had not followed such norms, he/she is liable to be tried for medical negligence and the patient compensated, if so proven.
In Traditional Medical System :-
- Physician diagnoses and treats as best but without verifiability or accountability.
- Fortunately, therapies in traditional medicines are generally harmless — hence patients do not face much risk.
Conclusion :- Traditional and scientific medical systems cannot be integrated. But one physician can learn any or all systems if he/she wants to.