Union Minister for Chemicals & Fertilizers and Parliamentary Affairs, Shri Ananthkumar announced the launch of ‘Suvidha’, the 100% Oxo-biodegradable Sanitary Napkin, under the Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP).
About SUVIDHA Sanitary Napkin :-
- The affordable sanitary napkin will be available for Rs. 2.50 per pad at over 3200 Janaushadhi Kendras across India and would ensure ‘Swachhta, Swasthya and Suvidha’for the underprivileged Women of India.
- This step taken by the Department of Pharmaceuticals will ensure the achievement of Prime Minster Shri Narendra Modi’s vision of Affordable and Quality Healthcare for All.
- The SUVIDHA sanitary napkin are 100% Oxo-biodegradable which would ensure cleanliness.
- SUVIDHA napkins would be physically available at all Janaushadhi Kendras in the country by May 28, 2018 – World Menstrual Hygiene Day
Why Oxo-Biodegradable ?
- There is a special additive is added in the SUVIDHA sanitary napkin which makes it biodegradable when it reacts with oxygen after it is used and discarded.
Why this step is important for ensuring the health security of women ?
- Because there are still those women who still use unhygienic aids during menstrual period due to non-affordability of some of the popular brands of sanitary napkins available in the market today.
- According to the National Family Health Survey 2015-16 :-
- About 58 percent of women aged between 15 to 24 years use locally prepared napkins, sanitary napkins and tampons.
- About 78 percent women in urban areas use hygienic methods of protection during menstrual period.
- Only 48 percent women in rural areas have access to clean sanitary napkins.
- Such unhygienic aids cause fungal infections, Reproductive Tract Infection, Urinary TractInfection, Cervical cancer and also make women vulnerable to infertility.
- Moreover, the disposal of non-biodegradable sanitary napkins available today creates a huge environmental problem.