National Conference on Down Syndrome held :-
A ‘National Conference on Down Syndrome’ was organised by the National Trust under Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment here today. A book entitled “Twilights Children” based on the lives of person suffering from Down Syndrome was released on the occasion. The conference brought intellectuals from all walks of life on one platform to spur ideas and channelized knowledge on Down Syndrome which was very beneficial to enable a positive change in the people with Down Syndrome.
The objective of this conference was to provide excellent opportunities to the parents to obtain information about latest development in education and skilling and inclusive living of persons with Down Syndrome. Moreover, Assessment/Screening sessions were also conducted for the children with Down Syndrome.
What is Down Syndrome ?
Down Syndrome is a chromosomal condition associated with intellectual and learning disabilities. Delayed development and behavioural problems are often reported in children with it.
On 19th December 2011, the United Nations General Assembly declared to observe 21st March as World Down Syndrome Day (WDSD) and since then every year, this day is officially observed by UN to create awareness about people with Down Syndrome.
About National Trust :-
The National Trust is a statutory body set up by an Act of Parliament for the Welfare of Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities under the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
Since, the inception, the National Trust has been running various schemes and programmes for the welfare of these persons with disabilities. Amongst these one of the major activities is creating awareness amongst the general public by organizing various workshops, seminars and conferences on these disabilities and the capabilities of such persons.
ISA and India sign the Host Country Agreement today :-
The International Solar Alliance (ISA) and the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), signed the Host Country Agreement here, today.
Under the Agreement :-
- The Agreement will give ISA a juridical personality and gives it power to contract, to acquire and dispose off movable and immovable properties, to institute and defend legal proceedings.
- Under this agreement, ISA shall enjoy such privileges, applicable tax concessions and immunities as are necessary for ISA’s Headquarter to independently discharge its function and programmes.
- ISA shall be deriving its status, privileges and immunities as per Article 10 of Framework Agreement.
- The International Solar Alliance is an initiative jointly launched by the Prime Minister of India and President of France on 30th November 2015 at Paris, in the presence of the Secretary General of the UN, on the side lines of COP21 UN Climate Change Conference.
- The main objective of ISA is to undertake joint efforts required to reduce the cost of finance and the cost of technology, mobilize more than US $ 1000 billion of investments needed by 2030 for massive deployment of solar energy, and pave the way for future technologies adapted to the needs of 121 countries lying fully or partially between the Tropics.
ISA has presently four ongoing programmes:
- Scaling Solar Applications for Agricultural Use
- Affordable Finance at Scale
- Scaling Solar Mini Grids
- Scaling Solar Rooftop catering to the needs of solar energy in specific areas.
The ISA became the first international intergovernmental treaty based organization to be headquartered in India. ISA celebrated its founding day on 11th March, 2018.