China appointed a former missile unit commander Lieutenant General Wei Fenghe as its new defence minister today, whose first guest of honour could be his Indian counterpart Nirmala Sitharaman.
Wei Meeting with Nirmala Sitharaman :-
The visit was announced amid diplomatic efforts by both the countries to reset the relations on a positive mode with high-level visits including the expected visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to take part in the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit to be held in June at the Chinese city of Qingdao.
Wei Relations with President XiJinping :-
- Second Artillery Corps :-
Wei was among the first of a number of senior military officers to pledge their loyalty to Xi even before the president announced his ambitious reform programme. Wei actually provided Xi with the plan to reorganise the Second Artillery Corps in an innovative way
- Gen Wei had backed Xi’s unprecedented overhaul of the country’s 2.3-million strong military which has now been downsized to two million after laying off three lakh troops.
About Wei Fenghe :-
- He was the last commander of China’s missile unit, the Second Artillery Corps, before it was split into two
♦ The People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Rocket Force
♦ Strategic Support Force
- He was appointed as the Defence Minister by the rubber-stamp Parliament, the National People’s Congress.
- Wei joined the Second Artillery Corps in 1970 when he was just 16.
- He was sent to learn rocket engineering at a missile school under the Commission for Science, Technology and Industry for National Defence.