France won’t leave Iran nuclear deal: Macron :-
- French President Emanuel Macron has announced that the nation will not leave the 2015 Iran nuclear deal and pushed for a comprehensive agreement with Tehran to address US concerns.
- In his joint address to the US Congress, Macron said that there is an existing framework called the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) to control the nuclear activity of Iran and both US and France have signed the plan.
- Macron further said that though the 2015 agreement may not address all and important concerns, it should not be abandoned without having something substantial instead.
- He said that the objective on Iran is clear that it shall never possess any nuclear weapons.
- The UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres also stated that the Iranian nuclear deal is very important and it should be maintained.
- The landmark 2015 nuclear deal calls for curbs on Iran’s nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief.
Commissioning of Third Ship of Landing Craft Utility Mk-IV :-
- The third ship of the Landing Craft Utility (LCU) Mk-IV project was inducted into the Indian Navy on April 25, 2018 at Port Blair.
- The ship was commissioned as INLCU L53 by Vice Admiral Bimal Verma.
- Designed and built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE), Kolkata, the ship showcases the immense potential of the country’s indigenous shipbuilding capability and is in line with India’s ‘Make in India’ goal.
- LCU MK-IV ship is an amphibious ship with a displacement of 830 Tons and is capable of transporting combat equipment such as Main Battle Tanks Arjun, T72 and other Armoured Vehicles.
- The ship is fitted with state-of-the-art equipment and advanced systems such as the Integrated Bridge System (IBS) and the Integrated Platform Management System (IPMS).
- The indigenous CRN 91 Gun with Stabilised Optronic Pedestal provides the ship the requisite offensive capability for undertaking patrolling in addition.
- The Union Human Resource Development Ministry on April 25, 2018 launched the second edition of Unnat Bharat Abhiyan in New Delhi.
- Under the program, students from 750 higher educational institutions from across the country will adopt nearby villages and visit them to get acquainted with the regular lifestyle of village people and the problems faced by them in their day to day life. The main objective of the program is to enable higher education institutions to work with the people of rural India in identifying development challenges and evolving appropriate solutions for accelerating sustainable development in rural areas.
- The Reporters Without Borders (RSF) on April 25, 2018 released the World Press Freedom Index 2018, reflecting growing animosity towards journalists.
- India’s rank dropped down to 138th this year from 136th in 2017, two points below the previous year. The report blames PM Narendra Modi’s “troll army” for sharing and intensifying hate speeches targeting journalists on social networks. Moreover, India also saw ‘physical violence’ against journalists this year including the murder of journalist Gauri Lankesh in 2017.
Indo-Malaysian Armies to conduct Exercise HARIMAU SHAKTI in Malaysia :-
“Harimau Shakti”, a joint training exercise between India and Malaysia will be conducted in the forests of Sengai Perdik, Hulu Langat, Malaysia from 30 April 2018 to 13 May 2018.
About “HARIMAU SHAKTI” :
- Harimau Shakti is aimed to enhance cooperation & coordination between armed forces of India and Malaysia and to share the expertise of both the contingents.
- Counter insurgency operations will be conducted in jungle terrain. Indian contingent will be represented by 4 GRENADIERS, one of the oldest infantry battalions.
- The Malaysian contingent will be represented by soldiers from 1 Royal Ranjer Regiment and the Royal Malay Regiment.
- This is the first time a joint training exercise of this magnitude comprising Indian and Malaysian soldiers is conducted in Malaysia.
- Main focus of the exercise will be on tactical operations in jungle warfare. A cross training phase and a field training phase of seven days in the jungles of Hulu Langat will be carried out.