States allowed to set up crop insurance firms to execute PMFBY
Widening crop insurance base :-
- The Centre has allowed states to set up their own insurance companies for implementing the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY)
- The move comes after observations made by the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) in its 2017 report that old crop insurances schemes which have now been merged with PMFBY, were poorly implemented during 2011-2016
About PMFBY :-
- Launched in April 2016, PMFBY provides comprehensive crop insurance from pre-sowing to post-harvest against non-preventable natural risks
- Insurance is provided at an extremely low premium rate of 2% for Kharif crops, 1.5% for rabi crops and 5% for horticulture and commercial crops
- The balance premium is paid equally by the centre and state
- Claims are settled on the basis of yield loss assessed at the end of the season
Prelims level: Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY)
Mains level: Issues related to agricultural insurance
In name of fake news, Government frames rules to blacklist journalists :-
Issue :- Fake News
The Information and Broadcasting Ministry has amended guidelines for journalists’ accreditation stating that if a journalist is found to have “created and/or propagated” fake news, the journalist’s accreditation will be suspended or permanently cancelled.
- Press Council of India and News Broadcasters Association (NBA), the two regulatory bodies for print and television media respectively, will determine whether the news is fake or not.
- Both these bodies are not “regulated/operated” by the government.
- The regulatory agencies will examine whether the `Norms of Journalistic Conduct’ and `Code of Ethics and Broadcasting Standards’ prescribed by the PCI and NBA respectively are adhered to by the journalists.
Further Guidelines :-
- A journalist is accredited with the Press Information Bureau of the Centre after she/he has least “five years’ experience as a full-time working journalist.”
Freelance journalists need to have 15 years experience and
Foreign correspondents five years with a valid work visa.
- If publishing or telecast of fake news is confirmed, the statement said, the journalist’s accreditation shall be suspended for 6 months for first violation, one year for second violation and will be permanently cancelled if there is a third violation.
Mains Level :- Ethical Issues related to Media