The NITI Forum for North East today planned five development missions for promoting sectors like horticulture, tourism and food processing in the region. Other missions will cover bamboo-based handicrafts and medium scale industries with focus on ‘Make in North-East’.
- The focus of development projects in the region will be based on the concept of “HIRA”.
- The acronym HIRA stands for Highways, Internet ways, Railways and Airways & the emphasis will also be on education, health and skill development in the region.
The first meeting of the newly constituted NER forum here was organised by NITI Aayog and Ministry of Development of North East Region (DoNER) and the North Eastern Council (NEC).
- There has been a significant 21 per cent rise in fund utilisation in the North East in the last three years.
- Central Government has now committed full 100 per cent funding for development projects in the region as against 90:10 ratio earlier, with state governments funding 10% of the total cost.
About NITI forum For North-East :-
- The ‘NITI Forum for North East’ was constituted in February.
- It is tasked to identify various constraints on the way of accelerated, inclusive and sustainable economic growth in the North East Region of the country.
- It aims to recommend suitable interventions for addressing identified constraints.
- It will also periodically review the development status in the NER.
- The forum will be co-chaired by the
♦ Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog and Minister of State (I/C)
♦ Ministry of Development of Northeastern Region (DoNER).
- The forum will have its Secretariat in the Ministry of DoNER.