To better the quality of teaching in the country, Human Resource Development Ministry has launched an initiative to train teachers using digital platform.
Using the Massive Open Online Courses platform SWAYAM, the central government intends to update the teaching technique of 1.5 million higher education faculty with focus on new and emerging trends.
To achieve this, in the first phase, 75 discipline-specific National Resource Centres (NRCs) have been identified to prepare online training material and keep the teachers abreast of latest developments in their disciplines through the online refresher course.
A number of institutions such as Central, State and Open Universities, National Institutes for Technical Teachers Training, IITs, IIITs, NITs and other have been notified as NRCs in this regard.
These NRCs cover wide ranging disciplines of
- Social Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Design & Manufacturing
- Language Teaching
- Education Planning and Administration
- Public Policy, Leadership and Governance
- Library and Information Science
- Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Cutting edge areas of Nano-sciences
- Internet of Things & etc.
Under this initiative :-
- All in-service teachers, irrespective of their subject and seniority will have an enabling opportunity to keep abreast of the latest developments in their disciplines through the technology based online refresher course.
- The NRCs will develop the Refresher Module which will include the latest trends in their earmarked discipline by June 15 each year.
- According to HRD, the training materials will be uploaded and made available through SWAYAM to all the teachers w.e.f. 1st October each year and based on the response, the course can be repeated in the following January.
- NRC will publish the list of the faculty who have been certified by 31st December, 2018.
- UGC will issue order/regulations for the purpose of Career Progression and APIs, said the Ministry.
About SWAYAM :-
- SWAYAM or Study Webs of Active –Learning for Young Aspiring Minds programme of Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India, Professors of centrally funded institutions like IITs, IIMs, central universities will offer online courses to citizens of India.
- SWAYAM is an instrument for self-actualisation providing opportunities for a life-long learning.
- With this, India has become one of the few countries in the World which has its own online interactive learning platform that provides, not only video lectures, reading material but also assignments/quizzes that could end up in securing credits after completing the assessment system.