Composite Water Management Index
- NITI Aayog has come up with the Composite Water Management Index as a useful tool to assess and improve the performance in efficient management of water resources.
- This index is an attempt to inspire States and UTs towards efficient and optimal utilisation of water, and recycling thereof with a sense of urgency.
- The index would provide useful information for the States and also for the concerned Central Ministries/Departments enabling them to formulate and implement suitable strategies for better management of water resources.
Managing Water Resources
- In view of limitations on availability of water resources and rising demand for water, sustainable management of water resources has acquired critical importance.
- The index can be utilised to formulate and implement suitable strategies for better management of water resources.
Sectors Prioritized for Water Management Index
- Restoration of Water Bodies– Source Augmentation
- Groundwater– Source Augmentation
- Major and Medium Irrigation – Supply Side Management
- Watershed Development – Supply Side Management
- Participatory Irrigation Practices – Demand Side Management
- Sustainable on-farm Water Use Practices – Demand Side Management
- Rural Drinking Water
- Urban Water Supply and Sanitation
- Policy and Governance