The Parliament of the Seychelles will not ratify India’s plans to build a naval base in the western Indian Ocean region.
Reasons behind it :-
- Opposition members in the Seychelles Parliament argued against allowing India to build a naval base on the strategically located island of Assumption saying it would infringe on the country’s sovereignty.
- The government said the proposal to seek ratification of the project would not be presented to Parliament as the Opposition had already said that it would not clear it.
- Several protests by civil society activists in the archipelago nation who have urged the government to remain non-aligned and avoid tilting towards either India or China
- Leader of the Opposition Wavell John Charles Ramkalawan had earlier stated that he would block the government’s move to seek clearance from Parliament.
India’s Project :-
The Indian project was to include facility for Indian ships and an airstrip that would allow New Delhi to guard the energy lanes vital to India’s economy.
Seychelles offer to India :-
- Seychelles has indicated that instead of allowing India to run the base, it would like to develop a coast guard facility at the Assumption.