- Govt notified Six Institutions of Eminence
- The Government has shortlisted Six Institutions of Eminence (IoEs) including 3 from Public Sector and 3 from Private Sector.
The details of these Institutions are as under :-
(i) Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Karnataka
(ii) Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, Maharashtra
(iii) Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.
(i) Jio Institute (Reliance Foundation), Pune under Green Field Category
(ii) Birla Institute of Technology & Sciences, Pilani, Rajasthan
(iii) Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, Karnataka.
- It will ensure complete autonomy to the selected institutions and facilitate them to grow more rapidly.
- They will get more opportunity to scale up their operations with more skills and quality improvement so that they become World Class Institutions in the field of education.
It is expected that the above selected Institutions will come up in top 500 of the world ranking in 10 years and in top 100 of the world ranking eventually overtime.
What needs to be done to achieve the top world ranking ?
These Institutions shall be provided with greater autonomy
- To admit foreign students up to 30% of admitted students
- To recruit foreign faculty upto 25% of faculty strength
- To offer online courses upto 20% of its programmes
- To enter into academic collaboration with top 500 in the world ranking Institutions without permission of UGC
- Free to fix and charge fees from foreign students without restriction
- Flexibility of course structure in terms of number of credit hours and years to take a degree
- Complete flexibility in fixing of curriculum and syllabus, among others.