- Setup of Special Fast Track Courts.
- Law Ministry has come up with a proposal of a draft scheme to set up “Special Fast Track Courts” across India to try rape cases.
- The new draft scheme is a part of the ordinance recently promulgated to allow courts to award death penalty to convicts for raping children below 12 years.
Need of Special Fast Track Courts :-
While bringing out The Criminal Laws (Amendment) Ordinance, the government had decided to frame a scheme to set up an “appropriate” number of fast track courts to try rape cases in the states to strengthen infrastructure for better investigation and swift prosecution in such cases
What would be covered under the draft scheme of setting up “Special Fast Track courts” ?
The scheme will include components including :-
- Strengthening of the physical infrastructure and prosecution machinery
- Provision of the required number of judicial officers for lower courts
- Additional posts of public prosecutors
- Dedicated investigators
- Special forensic kits