The Union ministry of road transport and highways has written to state transport departments to treat e-copies of driving license and vehicle registration certificates in the Digi-Locker or mParivahan app as valid documents at par with the original ones.
Recently, Railways has also said that the national transporter will now accept soft copies of Aadhaar and driving licence provided they are in your Digi-Locker
What will happen if someone has broken a traffic rule ? How the Traffic department will impound the documents ?
The ministry has clarified that the traffic police or the motor vehicles department needs to treat such documents as valid & such impounding can be reflected through the VAHAN/SARATHI database electronically through the e-challan system. “There would be no requirement of physical seizure of such documents,” the ministry said in a circular.
What is DigiLocker ?
- Available both on websites and mobile apps, DigiLocker is nothing but a digital locker to store all your documents safely. Linked to both your Aadhaar card number and mobile phone number.
- DigiLocker eliminates the use of physical documents as part of a Digital India drive by the government as all data is stored in the cloud.
What can be done with Digi-Locker ?
- You can upload scanned copies of your documents (PDF, JPEG or PNG format) into your secured e-locker and can then access it anywhere you want to.
- You can also e-sign these uploaded documents, which works like self-attestation of physical documents.
- On the other hand, organisations like CBSE, Registrar Office, Income Tax Department, can also push electronic copies of documents and certificates directly into your e-lockers.
- As per latest statistics, DigiLocker has 1.35 crore users so far with people using it for PAN cards, marksheets, caste certificates, birth certificates, ration cards, etc.
How to use DigiLocker ?
♦ Go to DigiLocker website or downloand DigiLocker app on your smartphone. Using your Aadhaar number and mobile number you can create a user ID using an OTP.
♦ If some organisation has uploaded any of your e-documents, you can see it in the account. You can also upload your own documents and e-sign them.
♦ You also get the facility of sharing documents with others by sharing a link to the e-document.