The Cabinet committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved continuation of the Capacity Development Scheme until 2019-20 with an outlay of Rs 2,250 crore to help build capacity to bring important sets of macro economic and other data by the Statistics and Programme Implementation Ministry (MoSPI).
What is Capacity Development Scheme ?
The Capacity Development Scheme is an Ongoing Central Sector Scheme of MoSPI. The overall objective of the scheme is to augment infrastructural, technical as well as manpower resources for making available credible and timely Official Statistics for policy makers and public at large.
Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS), a continuous survey to assess quarterly labour data in urban areas and annual labour data for the whole country (urban and rural areas), was launched in April, 2017 under the scheme.
The major ongoing activities under the Capacity Development Scheme, includes :-
- Augmenting resources for bringing out important statistical products, such as Gross Domestic Product (GDP), Consumer Price Index (CPI), Index of Industrial Production (IIP), Statistical classifications, etc
- Conducting various Socio-Economic surveys
- Capacity building and strengthening statistical coordination
- Improving IT infrastructure.
The Capacity Development Scheme has two Sub-schemes :-
- Economic Census :- Under Economic Census, listing of all non-agricultural establishments is undertaken periodically, which forms the basis for conducting detailed socio-economic surveys. The last (6l) Economic Census was conducted during January, 2013 to April, 2014 and the Government now aims to conduct the Census once every three years in future.
- Support for Statistical Strengthening (SSS) :- The SSS Sub-scheme is to strengthen State/ Sub-State level statistical systems/ infrastructure to facilitate development of a robust national system. Funds are released to States/ UTs for this purpose after detailed examination of their proposals.
About MoSPI (Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation) :-
- The Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MOSPI) is a ministry of Government of India. concerned with coverage and quality aspects of statistics released.
- The Ministry has two wings, one relating to Statistics and the other Programme Implementation. The Statistics Wing called the National Statistical Office(NSO) consists of the Central Statistical Office (CSO), the Computer center and the National Sample Survey Office (NSSO).
- The surveys conducted by the Ministry are based on scientific sampling methods.